Long Term Plan
In the Early Years Foundation Stage your child will mostly be taught through games and play in a thematic approach. Underpinning these are seven Areas of Learning. These are taught throughout the year and are a progression of skills to prepare them for the Key Stage 1 Curriculum.
The areas of learning are:
- communication and language
- physical development
- personal, social and emotional development
- understanding the world
- expressive arts and design
Alongside the Areas of Learning are the Characteristics of Effective Learning. The focus of the Characteristics of Effective Learning is on how children learn rather than what they learn i.e. process over outcome. Underpinning the Characteristics of Effective Learning is the understanding that during their earliest years, children form attitudes about learning that will last a lifetime.
The three characteristics of effective teaching and learning identified by the EYFS are:
- playing and exploring - children investigate and experience things, and ‘have a go’;
- active learning - children concentrate and keep on trying if they encounter difficulties, and enjoy achievements; and
- creating and thinking critically - children have and develop their own ideas, make links between ideas, and develop strategies for doing things.